Blog Archive

Best Vegan Eats in Boston

on
Wednesday, March 14, 2018



Alright, this is probably weird to say but I don’t think I went to my first vegan restaurant until over 6 months of being vegan. I have no idea why, because it’s so nice to go to a restaurant and not really have to think about what you’re ordering, or only being able to order something other than a veggie wrap. Once I figured out how great it was, I started exploring different vegan/vegetarian restaurants in Boston, and here are a list of my favorites so far. Let me know if you have any recommendations for other restaurants in the area.

Veggie Galaxy

This restaurant is hands down my favorite, it is vegetarian, but I believe everything on the menu can be modified to vegan. It has such a cute atmosphere and is always packed, it’s a mix of an old school diner with galaxy theme. Also the staff here is incredible, I don’t think I have ever been somewhere with people this nice. Just the experience alone would be enough, but their food is really good and there’s so much on the menu I want to try. I’ve come here with meat eating friends and even they like the food. As for what to get, the vegan mozzarella sticks were very good, definitely recommend eating when they are warm because the texture gets a little off when they are cold. Also the Surf and Turf was delicious, I haven’t had coleslaw since I went vegan (I never really thought about it), but man theirs is delicious. I usually stay away from vegan comfort foods, because I don’t usually think they’re worth it, but this is definitely somewhere you need to try.


Clover

Clover is all over the city, and they even have food trucks, so there’s an option for you if your co-workers are headed to the food trucks for lunch! This again is a vegetarian restaurant where most things can be modified to be vegan. Their restaurants are set up a little funky if you’ve never been, the staff is on the floor and they are there to help you, so it’s super easy to double check that what you’re ordering is vegan. I always get the falafel platter because I’m a sucker for falafel and fresh hummus. Make sure you get the fresh pita, it is delicious. The fries are also awesome and my friends have gotten many other things and they love it. Again, be sure to double check to make sure what you are getting is vegan, I know it can be a little hectic in there around lunch time, but they are very accommodating.

My Thai Vegan Café

This was one of the first vegan restaurants I went to, and it is still one of my favorites. I know the Loving Hut is a very popular vegan style Asian restaurant, but I was not a fan, so I was a little skeptical of My Thai Vegan. Also, ordering vegan at a thai restaurant isn’t too difficult, but this restaurant has so many options. The vibe in here is super cute, it’s on the second floor and the exterior is surrounded by plants. I typically get the Pad Thai and they also have vegan cakes for dessert! My friends have tried to Lo Mein as well as the curry and they were big fans. It has been relatively quiet in here when I’ve gone but I really like the food.

Jennifer Lee Bakery

Okay, before I went vegan I ate donuts maybe once every few months, then I went vegan and for some reason I always wanted donuts. I feel like most vegan donuts are cake like, if that makes sense. I had some time to kill at North Station and decided to check out Boston Public Market, because someone had said one of the shops had vegan donuts. Boy was that a great decision, their vegan donuts are delicious. When I went the first time they had a cinnamon sugar donut and a raspberry lime, of course I got both. They were better than real donuts, definitely recommend checking out. I have also got their donuts at farmers markets and vegan festivals. I definitely recommend checking them out, it might take a little to find them in the Boston Public Market, but worth looking for.

Life Alive

Not all vegans like salad, I hate lettuce. There I said it. That being said, a friend had given me a gift card to Life Alive as I worked near one in Salem, but there is a Life Alive in Cambridge. For someone who regularly says they don’t like salad, I will admit Life Alive’s salads are really good and there are a lot of options. They also have wraps and other sweet treats. Their smoothies are also really good, I recommend the Loco Coco Alive if you are feeling something sweet. It is a tad pricey but nice if you don’t want something that is going to weigh you down. Again, I'm a tough critic when it comes to salads, so if I'm recommending it, it must be good. Also the vibe is really nice in this place, it has a nice homey feel. 

By Chloe

Okay I put this on here because it is completely vegan and people seem to love it. There’s one in the Seaport and one by Fenway. Vegan comfort food is not always my favorite, I did not love their vegan mac and cheese but I know other people swear by it. However, their Kale Artichoke dip is delicious and I would skip the mac and cheese and go for their pesto pasta. It is a solid option, but I’m not too eager to head back there. I do know people who are not vegan and love it though, so maybe it just isn’t my cup of tea! I haven't gone their for brunch, but I also hear people rave about their cinnamon rolls, so check that out. 

Pizza and Sub Shop

I know, I know, this isn’t in Boston. But hey, Lowell is pretty close and if you live in the area you need to check out the Pizza and Sub Shop. They have hands down the best vegan cheese I have ever tried, and I’ve tried quite a few. The store owner hand makes the cheese from cashews and soy and it is more of a sauce rather than a melty cheese, but delicious none the less. They have a whole vegan menu, but I always get the same vegan cheese pizza with broccoli and mushrooms because it is so delicious. They also have a vegan pesto pizza, and I want to try and a vegan mac and cheese. Trust me, if you are in the area you need to check this place out. If you don’t believe me, check out the Yelp reviews for yourself. I drive 30 minutes to get their pizza and it is worth every minute. Plus the owners are very sweet, and supporting local businesses is always nice!

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment